Topics that have my interest right now
Below is a list (in random order so as not to convey a false favoritism
which I haven't even decided on yet) of some topics that I find interesting at
the moment. These are things I'm either currently learning about, working with,
or have slated to get more involved with in the near future. Some have links to pages on this site with more detail.
The list will be updated semi-regularly. Maybe.
- In what is turning out to be a true nerd-path of text-editing-enthusiasm, I've developed an unhealthy interest in (and collection of) mechanical keyboards. This enthusiasm blemish is threatening to swell into a full-blown obsession abscess as I'm starting to eyeball self-built, fully-custom keyboards...help. The closest I've gotten to custom is The Atreus, which I've built and enjoyed for a while but I didn't dedicate the time and energy to remapping my muscle memory and had to give up on it for now. Still highly recommended.
Vim + tmux workflow
- Nothing about using a computer has ever felt this comfortable and flow-inducing.
The inevitable abyss that awaits us all
- I don't want to be interested in this one, but I don't seem to be able to ignore it :-/
- I finally installed Arch on something. Next goal: linux from scratch :)Since late 2016 I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively. I think I can say I finally broke my OS X addiction and won't be depending on Apple's hardware anymore either
- I'm currently reading Daniel Dennett's Consciousness Explained. A tall order, but all of Dennett's work is always amazing, so I have high hopes. I've always been interested in the idea of Self (and tangentially in meditation) and am studying it indefinitely
- I used to rely on the Headspace iOS app to get into and keep on track with meditation. I've since moved to a simple timer and it's working just as well.
- I have a number of morally-nihilistic, philosophically-leaning blog post drafts I'm working on that will eventually be posted to my blog. It's funny how many thoughts one can have about the idea that 'meaning' is objectively nonsensical, but my innate feelings about this topic inform a lot of my other thought processes.
Information Security and Privacy
- Having become overcome with an extreme laziness just this moment - potentially encouraged by lack of caffeine as I'm cutting out coffee currently - I don't feel like writing further details on this one. You know what I mean
Down here are the things that eventually get bumped out of the 'currently' list. I
have a mild infatuation with archiving thoughts and experiences, so I don't want to get
rid of them altogether. They'll just grow and fester down here in the land of "things I
was once currently interested in".
- I've been volunteering with NYC Mesh recently and am very excited about the potential for the project. Come to a meetup! Send me an email and ask me more about it!this is now in the graveyard... I'm still very interested in this, but I've been too busy to keep involved lately. I'll get back into soon, I hope.
Plaintext markdown workflow
- This one isn't new, but I'm always refining it. The general idea is using Dropbox-synced, plaintext files for everything: journaling, todo lists, records where I've stored objects, drafts for blog posts, etc. I use Drafts and 1Writer on iOS and vim everywhere else.This one is going in the graveyard now. It's not that I'm not interested in it, I'd just like this page to be kept fresh with new-ish interests
- I'm not sure I was ever super into this show, but I wanted to have something here in the graveyard. This is a joke. haThis used to be here when the graveyard was otherwise empty. Now it's filling up with the corpses of previous interests... I'm gonna leave this here anyway though (see above comment about infatuation with archiving)
Ruby Sinatra framework
- After spending so much time working with Rails on a daily basis, Sinatra is a really wonderfully simple and able framework. My drawing blog and this site are both built with Sinatra.Graveyard. I still love sinatra, but it's not a new interest.